If you drink tap water but do not want to give up carbonation, a soda maker like the soda stream is a good choice. However, you should cleanse the Sodastream regularly to prevent germs and lime.
Why and how often should you clean your soda stream?
To protect both the water bubbler and the bottles from germs and limescale deposits, you should thoroughly clean both regularly.
- The bottles should be rinsed thoroughly after each use (mainly if you use syrup) or at least once a week with dishwashing liquid, warm water and a dishwashing brush.
- Ideally, you never drink directly from the bottle, so you leave no saliva residue on the neck of the bottle and thus also on the thread of the water bubbler.
- You should also clean the bubbler nozzle regularly. Otherwise, germs may quickly form on the nozzle where the device and bottleneck touch.
- If your SodaStream is broken and the warranty has expired, you can try to decalcify it inside. More below.
Tip: If you ever forget to clean your SodaStream, think of it at the latest when replacing the gas cartridges.
Clean the SodaStream device with home remedies
In the soda stream, the carbon dioxide passes through a nozzle into the water. Due to its position, this nozzle is somewhat difficult to clean. SodaStream recommends the following procedure with citric acid in the operating instructions :
- Fill the bottle with the quantity indicated on the packaging (about 50 ml of liquid citric acid or 2 tablespoons in powder form).
- Then fill the bottle with warm tap water up to the filling line.
- Now screw the bottle into the water bubbler and press the bubble button very briefly.
- Let it work for 10-15 minutes.
- Empty the bottle and rinse with clear water.
- The bubbler nozzle should also be cleaned with clear water and then allowed to dry.
Repair the calcified SodaStream Crystal
The SodaStream Crystal is the only water bubbler currently available on the market that uses glass bottles instead of plastic bottles. The glass bottles are not only visually appealing than plastic bottles, but they are also much more durable and sustainable.
After some time and with very calcareous water, it may happen that the complete bubble device of the Crystals calcified and no longer works properly. The bubbler then carries water inside the device. If your device still has a warranty, it is worthwhile to contact the manufacturer and to inquire about a repair: The Sodastream service hotline can be reached on 0800-1-831066 – it is from Monday to Friday from 9 to 17 clock occupied.
If the warranty has expired, you can also try repairing the water bubbler yourself:
- Open the Sodastream to disassemble the pieces. Then put them in the warm vinegar solution for 15 minutes.
- Rinse the freshly cleaned items with clear water, dry thoroughly and then reassemble.
- On YouTube, some instructions explain the dismantling and assembly of the Sodastream Crystals understandable.
Clean water bubbler bottles
Cleaning your SodaStream bottles is very easy. It is sufficient to rinse the bottles and lids with a little washing-up liquid and warm water. If necessary, you can use a narrow dishwashing brush to better rid the bottles of any residual syrup and other debris.
The glass bottles of the SodaStream “Crystal” can also be easily cleaned in the dishwasher. With plastic bottles was not possible until recently. They deformed when the water became too hot and became porous. Meanwhile, SodaStream has responded to the problem and now also offers dishwasher-safe plastic bottles for its Wassersprudler.